By: Chuck Muth
Nevada News and Views
TODAY’S NN&V HEADLINES
Education and the Current Healthcare Debate: (Frank Schnorbus) – I am troubled by the current healthcare debate for a number of reasons, but mostly because of the similarity of the arguments used 100 plus years ago when individual states were considering making education compulsory.
John Chachas Announces Leadership Team: (Nevada News & Views) – John Chachas, candidate for United States Senate, introduced on Tuesday a top-tier campaign leadership team with deep experience in Nevada and across the country.
What Happened to Mark Amodei’s Website and Twitter Account?
(Dullard Mush) – Granted, GOP U.S. Senate hopeful Mark Amodei’s online campaign hasn’t been the smoothest since he announced his intent to try and take on Nevada’s Harry Reid.
Clark County Republicans to Meet to Fill Vacancies
(Nevada News & Views Staff Report) – In a letter to Clark County Republican Central Committee Executive Board members on Wednesday, Chairman Richard Scotti announced a special meeting to fill vacancies on the party’s roster.
- WND: Rush Limbaugh livid: GOP has death wish
- LA Times: Nevada Republicans revive Harry Reid’s ‘bomb’
- RJ: Reid Jabs Generate Backlash
- RGJ: Missing Nevada GOP state convention ballots discovered
- TPM: Calling All Ghosts! Time To ‘Haunt’ John Ensign
- Sun: John Ensign mum on possible contact with feds
- Politico: Ensign’s aides pay the price for his affair
- Ralston: FEC raises new questions about Ensign disclosures
- Hill: EMILY’s List backs Titus
- Morrison: Flashes of wit might distinguish Rory Reid from his father
- Appeal: Tea Party Express brings out protesters
- Appeal: Moody’s Analytics wins bid for tax study
- Ely Daily Times: PERS investments recovering
- Damon: Gibbons’ deputy chief of staff manages his campaign Web site
- Ralston: The rise of independent voters
- CityLife: What’s behind the rise of the IAP in Nevada?
- Road Warrior: Real ID, Real Confusion
- NPRI: School board seeks to make ignoring the public official board policy
- Our friends at Americans for Tax Reform report this morning that a word search of the 1,990-page House healthcare bill (H.R. 3962) reveals that the term “tax” is used 87 times, “taxable” is used 62 times, and “excise tax” is used 10 times. The word “must” is used 58 times, “penalty” is used 113 times, “require” 118 times and “shall” a whopping 3,424 times. Oh yeah, this is a real good idea.
- The lame-o’s over at Sweet Phoebe Purebread’s communications shop at the Nevada Democrat Party featured this public school-esque headline in their latest e-newsletter: “Sandoval’s plan for Nevada: A bumber sticker.” A “bumber” sticker is apparently one of those things you put on the “bumber” of your car, which may or may not have come with a “bumber to bumber” warranty. I guess we can expect a “bumber” crop of these mistakes from the D’s throughout the upcoming campaign season.
- The unconstitutional Interim Finance Committee of the Nevada Legislature approved a $253,861 contract for Moody’s Analytics to “study” the state’s tax system – and then recommend that we impose a corporate business tax of some kind on Nevada’s few remaining profitable businesses, as well as expand the sales tax to include services such as haircuts and dry cleaning. And there will probably be some additional tax hikes on industries such as mining, as well as even higher taxes on cigarettes and beer. Money well spent in a recession, eh?
November 6: First Friday Happy Hour Brewhaha at Stoney’s in Las Vegas from 5:00 – 7:00 pm. FREE….but you must RSVP to email@example.com to get in for the 2-1 drink specials. Visit www.firstfridaynevada.com
November 10: FREE Kids Happy Hour and Deck Party at Joe’s Crab Shack in Green Valley from 5:00 – 7:00 pm. Playground, clown and $2 kids meals (with paid adult entrée). Special invited guest: GOP gubernatorial candidate Mike Montandon. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
February 6: Citizen Outreach’s “Reagan Tribute” in Las Vegas. Details to come.
May 12-13: Conservative Leadership Conference in Las Vegas co-hosted by Citizen Outreach and Americans for Tax Reform. Details to follow.
Sam Shad’s guest on today’s Nevada Newsmakers program will be State Assemblyman Harvey Munford, (D) Clark County District 6. The program airs on KRNV-TV Channel 4 at 12:30 pm in Reno and on Cox Cable Channel 123 at 4:30 pm and 11:35 pm in Las Vegas.
FAMOUS LAST WORDS
“Both parties are addicted to spending, both parties cannot control themselves or say no to anyone whose check clears the bank; the ‘Birth Tax’ we’ve saddled every newborn with today, is nearly $40,000 in debt to the government with no end in sight…and the national debt is increasing by almost 4 billion dollars per day! Again, no one is talking about this for the 2010 cycle; this is why we need Term Limits and the Line-Item Veto, they’re never going to do this themselves.” – Democrat blogger Mike Zahara