By: Chuck Muth
Nevada News and Views
TODAY’S NN&V HEADLINES
- How the Pro-Life Lobby Won a Battle, Lost a War (John Fund) – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi outmaneuvered Republicans over the weekend in passing her much sought-after health care bill.
- Shadegg Explains Vote on Stupak Amendment (John Shadegg) – Saturday night the House of Representatives voted on a government takeover of health care. I want to make sure you have the full story on the votes that took place and why I voted as I did.
- Titus Votes For Higher Taxes . . . Again (Joe Heck) – Dina Titus voted for what the Wall Street Journal has called “The Worst Bill Ever.” In doing so, it will cost us $1.055 trillion. That’s Trillion.
- GOP Stock Surges as Democrats Slide Further Left on Health Care (Richard Scotti) – Infatuated with their own power, and ignoring all responsibility to the constituents that elected them, the liberal Democrats in the House are continuing to dig their own graves.
- Our first-ever Kids Happy Hour & Deck Party is tonight from 5 to 7 pm at Joe’s Crab Shack on Sunset & Green Valley Pkwy in Henderson/Green Valley. Meet up on the outdoor deck next to the playground. $2 kids meals – $3 margaritas! Plus….a clown!
- If, as reported today, Obama plans to bury Yucca Mountain once and for all in December…what reason will there be left for re-electing Harry Reid next November?
- The far left-wing DailyKos picked up on our GOP gubernatorial poll yesterday, referring to the illustrious Jerry Dorchuck – Chairman and CEO of PMI, Inc. which conducted the poll – as a “mystery pollster” and maintaining that surveying almost 5,000 people was “overkill.” Fact is, Jerry Dorchuck is no mystery; he’s been doing polling in Nevada and around the country for over a decade and is well-known among political types. And as for surveying 5,000 people instead of 500…we call that, um, accuracy.
- “If you want to get your rear-end chewed out over political pronouncements from Harry Reid, Jan Jones, or Brian Greenspun, just chat up any Harrahs employee, especially at Caesars, where Harrahs is all but destroying that iconic brand!” writes NN&V contributor and Democrat blogger extraordinaire Mike Zahara. “You see, what neither of The Three Amigos is telling you or anyone else is that yes, Harry Reid paved the way for a huge corporate welfare tax break for Harrahs and do you know what Harrahs did with their big fat gift from Senator Harry Reid? They went ahead and bought Planet Hollywood’s debt with your tax money!!!” Your tax dollars at work.
OTHER NEWS & VIEWS
- Financial Times: Reid on defensive as Republicans attack
- TPMDC: Lowden Facing Opposition From Group Of Ron Paul Supporters
- Sebelius: Opting In to Democracy
- NPRI: Math scores mixed
- RJ: DOE abandoning Yucca Mountain plans
Republican Rep. Dean Heller goes “Face to Face” with Jon Ralston tonight. The program airs on Las Vegas ONE on Cox Channel 19 at 5:30 pm, 6:30 pm and 8:00 pm.
Sam Shad’s guest on today’s Nevada Newsmakers program will be State Senator Randolph Townsend, Washoe Dist 4. The program airs on KRNV-TV Channel 4 at 12:30 pm in Reno and on Cox Cable Channel 123 at 4:30 pm and 11:35 pm in Las Vegas.
FAMOUS LAST WORDS
“(I)t’s important to be clear about what the (health care) reform amounts to. . . . The U.S. government is making a costly and open-ended commitment. Let’s not pretend that it isn’t a big deal, or that it will be self-financing, or that it will work out exactly as planned. It won’t. What is really unfolding, I suspect, is the scenario that many conservatives feared. The Obama Administration…is creating a new entitlement program, which, once established, will be virtually impossible to rescind.” – John Cassidy of the New Yorker
- November 13: Citizen Outreach’s Chuck Muth and Elizabeth Crum will duke it out on a Media Panel with Jon Ralston and Steve Sebelius at the Leadership Las Vegas conference conducted by the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce. 2:30 pm at the Regional Transportation Commission offices in Las Vegas.
- November 14: Nevada Republican Central Committee meeting in Hawthorne.
- February 6: Citizen Outreach’s “Reagan Tribute” in Las Vegas. Details to come.
- May 12-13: Conservative Leadership Conference in Las Vegas co-hosted by Citizen Outreach and Americans for Tax Reform. Details to follow.
- Book Reviewers – Volunteers wanted to read and review the latest conservative and/or political books. Reviews will be 300 to 500 words. Nevada public school graduates are welcome if they are able to spell and string together grammatically correct sentences.
- Weekend Features Writers – Two volunteers needed to write weekend features. One assignment will involve calling and asking subjects three “fun” questions and then typing up the responses with a brief introduction. The other feature will involve doing exclusive email interviews with a leading political or government figure.
- Freelance “Stringers” – Volunteers wanted to write interesting op-eds or engage in targeted “citizen journalism” around the state. If you have a gift for the written word and would like to see your name in lights here at Nevada News & Views, please contact us.
All interested parties should email publisher Chuck Muth at: [email protected]