The Israelis finally got sick and tired of having rockets, Iranian supplied missiles and mortars being fired at their civilians by Hamas and decided to do something about it. And as always, every time Israel defends itself, it’s somehow controversial.
The whole scenario reminds me of the old movie ‘Groundhog Day.’ The Israelis are attacked, they defend themselves, they’re forced by international pressure to stop short of totally eradicating the threat, there is a sort of ceasefire and the whole cycle repeats itself a few years later once their enemies regroup and re-arm.
The same accusations of ‘disproportionate response’ likewise resurface each time. Protesters in the EU probably know by now to store those defaced Israeli flags with a swastika replacing the Mogen David in the closet for future use, rather than buying new ones.
The case of Gaza is particularly egregious. When the Israelis agreed to sign on to the Road Map and ethnically cleanse Jews from Gaza as one of the conditions, they were given iron-clad security guarantees by the U.S., the EU, The Egyptian government and the Palestinian Authority who were supposedly going to be running the place, that Gaza would never be allowed to become a security threat to Israel again.
At this point, the entire situation is something Lewis Carrol couldn’t have dreamed up in his wildest opium fantasies.
Israel has nothing to do with running Gaza, yet they’re deemed ‘occupiers’ officially by the UN.
Hamas is an openly genocidal organization, yet the Israelis are faulted because negotiating with Hamas has been a dead end. And they’re also expected to treat seriously countries like Egypt and the Palestinian Authority that defend them.
Israel is at war now with Hamas, yet Gaza still receives gas, electricity and water courtesy of Israel.
And wackiest of all, here we have a terrorist entity shooting Iranian supplied missiles at Israel’s major cities and hiding behind a civilian population and it is the Israelis who are being told on one hand they have a right to defend themselves and in the same breath are cautioned not to defend themselves by dealing with the threat decisively, something any other nation would do in a heartbeat.
Secretary of State Clinton is in the region and there are rumors of another ‘ceasefire’ being brokered. Unfortunately, there’s no lasting peace possible in this instance without removing Hamas from the equation permanently. We’ll see what develops.
This week’s contest, of course, is dedicated to the land and people of Israel, her armed forces and to a true and lasting peace.
For those of you interested in investing a little time seconding that sentiment, my friend Lori Lowenthal Marcus of Z-Street has something happening this week that will allow you to get directly involved with the Decision Maker in this situation if you wish.
It’s geared towards Jews, but those of you whom aren’t can improvise quite easily, and your input will be most welcome.
Welcome to the Watcher’s Council, a blogging group consisting of some of the most incisive blogs in the ‘sphere and the longest running group of its kind in existence. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. Then we vote on the best two posts, with the results appearing on Friday.
You can, too! Want to see your work appear on the Watcher’s Council homepage in our weekly contest listing? Didn’t get nominated by a Council member? No worries.
Simply head over to Joshuapundit and post the title and a link to the piece you want considered along with an e-mail address (which won’t be published) in the comments section of any entry no later than Monday 6 PM PST in order to be considered for our honorable mention category. Then just return the favor by creating a post on your site linking to the Watcher’s Council contest for the week.
It’s a great way of exposing your best work to Watcher’s Council readers and Council members, while grabbing the increased traffic and notoriety. And how good is that, eh?
And last but not least, I and my fellow Council members also join together in wishing you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Okay! So, let’s see what we have this week…
- The Colossus of Rhodey – It Ain’t Time to S.T.F.U. Yet, I Guess
- The Noisy Room – Going Galt and the Neo-Comms
- The Political Commentator – Presenting the Democrat plan for going over the fiscal cliff!
- The Independent Sentinel – Obama Is a Narcissist Who Rules a Narcissistic Nation
- Joshuapundit – An Answer For Rupert Murdoch – Why The U.S Jewish Press Is So Anti-Israel
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Miss Calculation
- Bookworm Room – Too much education makes people economically dumb
- VA Right! – Democrats Always Blame Racism When They Get Caught in Lies
- The Mellow Jihadi – Ethics Training Inbound
- The Razor – Freedom of Choice: Why Liberals Should Exercise Their Freedom to Pay Higher Taxes
- Rhymes With Right – Hiding Behind Race And Sex To Avoid Truth About Susan Rice
- The Glittering Eye – Demographics
- Gay Patriot – Patronize restaurants liberals want to boycott
- Simply Jews – PETA requests sign to memorialize fish
- The Right Planet – Fed Tells Banks to Test for 12% Unemployment
- Right Truth – Holly Petraeus
- Ask Marion – 2016 – The Election of the First Female President of the United States?
- Truth Before Dishonor – Cumulonimbus + AgI = ?? submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Mark Steyn – How The GOP Earned Its Date With Destiny submitted by The Noisy Room
- S. E. Cupp/Townhall – Unlocking Obama’s Economic Vision (Spoiler: It’s Blurry) submitted by The Political Commentator
- CNS News – Treasury Secretary Geithner: Lift Debt Limit to Infinity submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Via Meadia – America, Israel, Gaza, the World submitted by Joshuapundit
- Washington Wire – Specter of Iran Looms Over Gaza Crisis submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Ralph Peters – It’s Not Adding Up submitted by Bookworm Room
- Atlas Shrugs – Six Israeli ‘collaborators’ executed before baying Muslim mob in Gaza City submitted by VA Right!
- Crucis Court – Real world vs. Union fantasy submitted by The Mellow Jihadi
- Militant Libertarian – Real Danger of Obamacare: Insurance Company Takeover of Health Care submitted by The Razor
- Daily Kos – Libertarians provided the margin for Democrats in at least nine elections submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Neo-Neocon – Obama’s Outrage submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Powerline – “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to cash welfare checks…” submitted by Gay Patriot
- Tina Trent – They’re Just Not That Into You: Republicans And The Hispanic Vote submitted by The Watcher
- Seraphic Secret – Operation Pillar of Defense, Day Seven: Hey, Maybe the Ethnic Cleansing of Jews from Gaza Wasn’t Such a Bright Idea submitted by The Watcher