Hat Tip: BB
- Awkward: Kenyan President Slams Obama During Africa Visit [Video]
- Parents Outraged After Kids Learn About Strap-Ons, Anal Sex at Anti-Bullying Conference
- Man Catches Teen Stealing His Pants And Gives Him “Old School Style” Discipline [Video]
- HORROR: ISIS Leader Beheads Woman as Wedding Present [Video]
- Woman Sexually Assaulted by Bill Clinton Launches Anti-Hillary Website [Video]
- Sheriff Joe Makes HUGE Announcement About Trump – You’ll Love This
- Liberals Turn on Bill Clinton: He’s the ‘New Bill Cosby’ [Video]
- Trump Has an AMAZING Day Amid Rape Allegations [Video]
- College Girl Kills Newborn, Puts Body in Plastic Bag & Throws It in Trash Outside Sorority
- BREAKING: Gay Couples in Texas Just Got Some BAD News
- Trump Makes Epic Announcement About Sarah Palin [Video]
- What Sheriff Joe Just Did Has Muslims PISSED
- Trump crushes the field in New Hampshire & has a DOUBLE digit lead over Bush [Video]
- Mom tortured for 5 days by child’s father after he and his mother kidnapped her baby
- Summer camp horror: Desperate rescue effort as huge tree inexplicably falls on children
- Planned Parenthood HACKED! Anti-abortion group claims credit. [Video]
- Chinese Christians Vow To Make Thousands Of Crosses Amid Communist Crackdown
- Have to be Politically Correct! High School Changed Mascot Name It’s Had for 90 Yrs [Video]
- Jindal Will Lock Up Westboro Baptist Members if They Protest Funerals of Shooting Victims
- Video: Cops Pepper Spray #BlackLivesMatter Crazies In Cleveland After They Intercede
- Donald Trump: How Can Hillary Clinton Run After Her ‘Criminal’ Actions?
Welcome to the Watcher’s Council, a blogging group consisting of some of the most incisive blogs in the ‘sphere and the longest running group of its kind in existence. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. Then we vote on the best two posts, with the results appearing on Friday morning.
Terresa Monroe-Hamilton of The Noisy Room hit the airwaves last week, as a guest of the Denise Simon Show on Radio One and The Mike Hewitt Show on Newstalk 1090…awesome! Terresa’s segment starts at about 32:10.
You can, too! Want to see your work appear on the Watcher’s Council homepage in our weekly contest listing? Didn’t get nominated by a Council member? No worries.
To bring something to my attention, simply head over to Joshuapundit and post the title and a link to the piece you want considered along with an email address (mandatory, but of course it won’t be published) in the comments section no later than Monday 6 PM PST in order to be considered for our honorable mention category. Then return the favor by creating a post on your site linking to the Watcher’s Council contest for the week when it comes out on Wednesday morning.
It’s a great way of exposing your best work to Watcher’s Council readers and Council members while grabbing the increased traffic and notoriety. And how good is that, eh?
So, let’s see what we have for you this week…
- Don Surber – Global warming team iced in
- The Noisy Room – Ted Cruz- A Matter Of Honor [Video]
- Puma By Design – De Blasio Backs Down in War against Uber
- The Razor – Libertarian vs Conservative vs Liberal
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Enter The Ottomans
- The Independent Sentinel – Obama Administration Eviscerates Office of Inspectors General With A Memo
- The Right Planet – In Defense of Name-Calling
- The Glittering Eye – Is There A Great American Novel?
- VA Right! – Who is Dissing Trump? RINO Losers and the Newly Disenfranchised Mainstream Media of Course!
- Ask Marion – GcMAF, Healthcare and the NWO
- Bookworm Room – Novels that changed the way Americans viewed slavery and the South
- Nice Deb – Shock: Coalition Partner Turkey Launches Airstrikes Against Kurdish Forces With US Approval
- Rhymes With Right – The Next Celebrity Presidential Candidate
- The People’s Cube – Iranian Negotiator Discusses Nuclear Deal
- Maggie’s Notebook – Shariah-Compliant Financing: How Muslims Invest In Pork & Porn
- Simply Jews – Recep Tayyip Erdogan: now in action finally. But what action exactly?
- Seraphic Secret – Everything You Need to Know About the Nobel Peace Prize
- Hot Air – Mitchell: Experts can find no reason for a private e-mail system except to thwart oversight submitted by Don Surber
- Mark Steyn – The Superbowl of Superholes submitted by The Noisy Room
- The Clarion Project – ‘May I Cut Off a Head as a Wedding Present?’ – ISIS: ‘Yes’ submitted by Puma By Design
- Andrew McCarthy – Congress Must Hold Obama Accountable for His Deception Over Iran submitted by Joshuapundit
- Steven A. Cook/Council On Foreign Relations – Turkey, Syria, and the United States: Quagmires Are Us submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- New Zeal – Putin Threatens America with Nuclear Annihilation submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- JR Nyquist – The Empire of Lies, Part II: The Lie at the Foundation of Today’s Right submitted by The Right Planet
- T.Greer/Zenpundit – Iran: The Debate We Should Be Having submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Roll Call – Meadows Maneuvers to Remove Boehner as Speaker (Updated) submitted by VA Right!
- Clare Floran/National Journal – Big Oil and Pro-Keystone Groups Gave Millions to Clinton Foundation submitted by Ask Marion
- John Nolte/Breitbart – ‘You Go, Girl’: L.A. Times Cheers Threats Of Violence Against Breitbart’s Ben Shapiro submitted by Bookworm Room
- Patrick Poole/PJ Media – Obama Admin Backs NATO Ally Turkey’s Double Game with Islamic State After Turks Bomb Anti-ISIS Kurdish Groups submitted by Nice Deb
- FrontPage Mag – Full Giuliani Rollback: New York Court Orders Re-Pornification of Times Square submitted by The Watcher
- Kurt Schlichter – The Coming (And Hilarious) Democrat Implosion submitted by The Watcher
By: Cliff Kincaid
Accuracy in Media
Time magazine is out with a colorful and glossy “Inside the New Cuba” special edition, featuring smiling Cuban kids wearing Communist garb on the cover. Page 64 has a photo showing “Cuban fans” holding up “their national flag” at a baseball game. It turns out that the really happy Cubans are those who have been defecting from the island “paradise,” as Time magazine calls the prison camp country.
Credit goes to Christine Rousselle of Townhall.com for covering these defections. They seem to be developing into a regular feature, with Rousselle providing regular updates about additional defections.
So far, eight players from the Cuban men’s field hockey team, four rowers from the Cuban national team, and two members of the Cuban soccer team have defected.
The defections completely undercut the chapter of the special Time magazine issue on Cuba that is titled, “The Big League Next Door,” which speculates that normalization of relations between the U.S. and Cuba could “stop Cuba’s top talent from fleeing…” This chapter is written by Robert Siegel, senior host of National Public Radio, and Eyder Peralta, an NPR reporter.
Washington Nationals infielder Yunel Escobar defected from Cuba when he was 21. The Washington Post covered his story in a May 7 article, noting:
Escobar’s love of baseball was fueled by television broadcasts and video games, both forbidden in Cuba. He paid to watch MLB games and favorite players such as Alex Rodriguez, Roberto Alomar, Omar Vizquel and fellow Cuban Livan Hernandez on a TV with a hush-hush antenna at a friend’s house. He also grew to love Ken Griffey Jr. because of a video game he played often in secret. A friend had smuggled in a console and charged the equivalent of 50 cents per hour to play.
The entire story is worth reading and there are many touching moments, such as the story of when Escobar spent two days at an immigration detention center in Miami “and kissed the ground when he was released.”
These are the immigrants we should welcome, since they have developed an appreciation of the struggle between freedom and totalitarianism. They want to enjoy and celebrate American freedom, not distort and transform the country into a Third World welfare state of cheap labor for corporations and paid-for votes for the Democratic Party.
In the Time magazine version of Cuba, we are told in the section, “Scenes from the Revolution,” that Fidel Castro “promised to clean up the government, restore democracy and civil liberties, and promote social justice.” Nothing is said about whether he fulfilled those promises.
By contrast, we are told that his predecessor, Fulgencio Batista, was a “ruthless dictator” who ran a system characterized by “economic and social inequality and a corrupt government.” The implication is that Castro changed all of that for the better.
A caption on a page of pictures of Cuban cowboys on the communist island informs us that “Before Castro nationalized all farms, almost three quarters of Cuba’s arable lands was owned by fewer than 3,000 individuals and corporations, many of them American, while most farmworkers were renters.” One of the Cuban cowboys proclaims, “It is no longer of Communism or no Communism. It belongs to us.”
You mean communism works after all? That seems to be the message of this special Time magazine Cuba edition.
It’s completely absurd but this is what passes for serious journalism. It reminds me of the old Ronald Reagan joke, reportedly told to Mikhail Gorbachev, about two men walking down a street in Moscow, when one asks, “Is this pure communism? Have we passed through the stage of socialism and reached pure communism? The other replies, “Hell, no. It’s gonna get a lot worse.”
Ben Lewis wrote an article, “Hammer & tickle,” noting that “Communism is the only political system to have created its own international brand of comedy.”
These days, Oleg Atbashian makes fun of the Marxists and their apologists on a regular basis, on his “People’s Cube” website. One of his latest offerings is the new poster featuring the “Rebel without a gender.” The People’s Cube proclaims, “Che is dead, long live Conchita: a new rebel icon.”
His tribute to the Museum of Communism in Prague is a lot of laughs, as he displays some of the posters from the old communist days, such as the one announcing that communist women would have burnt their bras like their sisters in the West, “if there were any in the shops.”
Another communist poster said: “Sometimes there was no toilet paper in the shops. Luckily there was not much food, either.”
Meanwhile, believe it or not, the comedian Jack Black is being featured in a video campaign from the group Global Zero to sell the Iranian nuclear deal. He previously starred in such films as “Shallow Hal,” “School of Rock,” “Nacho Libre,” and the Kung Fu Panda films.
A comedian as the face of the Iranian nuclear deal? This is where the laughing begins to die down.
The Iranians and their Russian sponsors are the ones laughing at us now.
So are the Cuban Communists.
They may lose some people through defections, but they get an embassy on American soil where they can base their spies and recruit agents inside the U.S. government.