Nevada News & Views – November 30, 2009
By: Chuck Muth
Nevada News and Views
TODAY’S NN&V HEADLINES
- Ensign Finally Takes Some Questions (Sean Whaley/Nevada News Bureau) – U.S. Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., today reiterated his intention of completing his term of office despite having acknowledged earlier this year that he had an extramarital affair. Ensign gave an exclusive interview to Alan Stock of KXNT News Radio 840 in Las Vegas.
- The Ensign Interiew, Q&A Compilation (Nevada News Bureau) – A compilation of quotes from Sen. John Ensign’s exclusive 8:00 am one-hour interview with Alan Stock on KXNT 840 AM this morning.
- Ensign says words on radio show (Steve Sebelius) – U.S. Sen. John Ensign went on the Alan Stock show on KXNT-AM 840 this morning, agreeing to talk about his personal issues for a few minutes before spewing right-wing talking points for most of the rest of the hour.
- Nevada Politicians Abusing Taxpayer Funds to Campaign (Chuck Muth) – There was a large, almost half-page ad in Sunday’s Las Vegas Review-Journal announcing an upcoming auction being conducted by the Office of the State Treasurer. The ad included the date, time and location of the auction, the terms and conditions of the auction and the website addresses where you can see a catalogue of the items which will be included in the auction. No big deal, right?
- The National Commission on Healthcare Reform—Part Three (Mike Zahara) – We’ve determined that what’s currently moving through Congress is not real reform, but more Medical Industrial Complex protections, posing as reform. Congress is beholden to too many special interests and a bad bill, at this point, is far worse than no bill at all.
Click here to read these stories at the Nevada News & Views site!
Do you think the final House/Senate health care bill that ends up on President Obama’s desk will include benefits for illegal immigrants?
To cast your vote in today’s online survey, click here!
If you have an interest in the issue of health insurance reform and whether or not illegal immigrants will receive benefits, read a compilation of news, views and opinions HERE on Muth’s Truths.
OTHER NEWS & VIEWS
Yesterday morning, four uniformed police officers in the Seattle area were ambushed in a coffee shop and gunned down. Authorities tell the Seattle Times that the primary suspect is Maurice Clemmons, who, according to the Times, has “a long record or violence” and who had his prison sentence in Arkansas commuted nine years ago by then-Gov. Mike Huckabee.
If true – if Clemmons is the dirtbag who murdered four police officers and if Huckabee did, indeed, commute his prison sentence nine years ago – then say goodbye to Huckabee’s hope of ever becoming President of the United States.
Sam Shad’s guest on today’s Nevada Newsmakers program will be Assemblywoman Heidi Gansert, Washoe Dist 25. The program airs on KRNV-TV Channel 4 at 12:30 pm in Reno and on Cox Cable Channel 123 at 4:30 pm and 11:35 pm in Las Vegas.
FAMOUS LAST WORDS
The following letter to the editor by Brian Shoemake, which was published on Sunday in the Las Vegas Review-Journal, might just qualify as the “Letter to the Editor of the Year Award.”
“Dear Editor: I don’t understand why the White House is so upset about the two party crashers at Barack Obama’s steak dinner the other night. Is it really appropriate and politically correct to call them party crashers just because they trespassed on Mr. Obama? Does that make them criminals? Isn’t that discrimination? Shouldn’t they be rewarded for such bold and brave behavior? Maybe they were just trying to feed their family?
“I would suggest that it’s more appropriate to call them ‘undocumented guests.’ Just because they weren’t officially invited doesn’t mean they should be treated like criminals. Maybe they should get free health care, free housing, free legal services and free White House green cards so next time they can enter legally. And they should be able to bring all of their relatives and family members, too.
“How can Mr. Obama be mad at them just because they crossed over some arbitrary man-made border? They were there only to do the things that regularly invited guests didn’t want to do. (Like hang out with Joe Biden.) How can the White House punish these poor oppressed undocumented visitors?”
Such cynicism! Such sarcasm! Author! Author!
- December 4: Nevada “Newsmaker Briefing” with Rep. Dean Heller (R-Nevada) sponsored by Citizen Outreach Foundation and the Nevada News Bureau.
- December 4: First Friday Happy Hour Brewhaha and CHRISTMAS (not “Holiday”) Party in Las Vegas. VIP guests will be Nevada Congressman Dean Heller and the United States Marines (bring a toy for their Toys for Tots campaign). Visit www.FirstFridayNevada.com
- December 15: Center-right coalition meeting co-hosted by Citizen Outreach and the Nevada Policy Research Institute at 8:30 am. Invitation only.