*NoisyRoom Note: I’m Irish and my husband is Scottish – celebrate with us!! My great grandfather, by the name of Poole, came over from the Emerald Isle to the US and we’ve always loved Ireland. 8)
Welcome to the Watcher’s Council, a blogging group consisting of some of the most incisive blogs in the ‘sphere and the longest running group of its kind in existence. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. Then we vote on the best two posts, with the results appearing on Friday.
Ah yes, it’s St. Patrick’s Day… back when I was a single gentleman, this used to be one of my favorite holidays, for reasons best left to the imagination.
At any rate, it’s a day to celebrate the extraordinary Irish and have a marvelous time at it… and maybe get a glimpse of a vision of your own pot o’ gold.
Here’s a little music to put you in the right spirit…
You can, too! Want to see your work appear on the Watcher’s Council homepage in our weekly contest listing? Didn’t get nominated by a Council member? No worries.
Simply head over to Joshuapundit and post the title and a link to the piece you want considered along with an e-mail address (which won’t be published) in the comments section no later than Monday 6 PM PST in order to be considered for our honorable mention category and return the favor by creating a post on your site linking to the Watcher’s Council contest for the week.
It’s a great way of exposing your best work to Watcher’s Council readers and Council members, while grabbing the increased traffic and notoriety. And how good is that, eh?
So, let’s see what we have this week…
- The Noisy Room – The American Spring Bears Poisonous Fruit
- The Political Commentator – Eminent domain: Being a bondholder ain’t what it used to be!
- Simply Jews – Maradona as a champion of Palestinian cause
- The Independent Sentinel – Anti-First Amendment Liberals-Hanoi Jane, Steinem & Morgan-Want the FCC to Shut Down Rush’s Radio Station
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Fake Syrian Military Intell
- The Colossus of Rhodey – Why Andrew Breitbart was important
- Rhymes With Right – Enough Of Stupid Comments About “The Establishment” Trying To “Anoint” A Candidate
- Joshuapundit – More ‘Diplomacy’ With Iran As Obama And The EU Team Up To Fend Off An Israeli Strike
- Bookworm Room – The Breitbarters launch their first barrage in their war against the American Leftist media
- Gay Patriot – How about a TV series treating Christians* with dignity?
- The Mellow Jihadi – Me and a Pakistani Captain Chat
- The Razor – Loving Sluts, Hating Liars
- The Glittering Eye – Okay, You’ve Caught It. Now What Do You Do With It?
- VA Right! – Thursday: First I Spoke With Senator Rand Paul – Then I Crashed George Allen’s Birthday Party
- The Right Planet – Bloody Revolution Pt. 2
- The Grouch – Mitt Romney Flops Again – Reverses Stance on Minimum Wage
- Liberty’s Spirit – Reality: Obama Wants a Nuclear Iran
- Right Truth – Not Diagnosing and Treating PTSD and TBI
- Capitalist Preservation – Liberals and the Suborned Media Employ Hegel’s Dialectic
- Mark Steyn/IBD – The Fluke Charade: A Middle-Age Child’s Nutty Demand submitted by The Noisy Room
- Stonegate Institute – Infiltrating Pakistan’s ISI submitted by The Political Commentator
- Life In Israel – A personal message from the Iron Dome Soldiers submitted by Simply Jews
- Michelle Malkin – Knock, knock. Who’s there? Big Labor at your door! submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Institute for The Study Of War – Syria’s Armed Opposition submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- The First Street Journal – The excuses of the losers submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- NewsBusters – So Much for Church-State Separation: White House Organizing ‘Prayer Vigils’ for Obama-Care, Says NYT submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Information Dissemination – Pirates vs. Congress: How Pirates Are a Better Bargain submitted by Joshuapundit
- Castra Praetoria – Debunking lies about the military submitted by Bookworm Room
- The Conservative Commune – The 21st Century Energy Crisis submitted by Gay Patriot
- 6079 Smith, W – The Hero And The Fluke submitted by The Mellow Jihadi
- American Thinker – The Real War On Women submitted by The Razor
- Just One Minute – Reaching Critical Mass submitted by The Glittering Eye
- American Spectator – Republican Party Overmatched By Soros Backed ‘Vote Fraud Denier Industry’ submitted by VA Right!
- CNS News – NAACP Asking U.N. Human Rights Council to Condemn American Voter ID Laws submitted by The Right Planet
- Sarah Palin – Let’s Talk About The Real Issues, Mr. President submitted by The Watcher
- Victor Davis Hanson – We Give Up submitted by The Watcher
By: Jay Loeffers
Hi everyone! Glad you could make it back for Part 2 of my real history of FDR. When you think of paying taxes, you think of the paperwork and all the record keeping you have to do if you own a home, have a family or own a business. If you have all three of those, then there are the lawyers you have to hire and a CPA. Then there are the ever changing tax codes and regulations you have to keep up with and translate. Eventually, your number comes up for an IRS audit and an agency that is supposed to be a so-called SERVICE agency doesn’t act like one at all. Just ask Willie Nelson and Wesley Snipes (those two being extreme cases and they did break the law).
The first version of the progressive income tax was designed by Woodrow Wilson and of course, he needed a government agency to handle this. Both Wilson and FDR were very progressive presidents that believed in Keynesian economics – that income should be limited by law and that rights are granted by the government. FDR was anti-business in every way. It has been revealed that FDR was a failure in business at one time. So that lead me to the belief that progressives that hate successful people the most are the biggest failures in their own lives and want to pass the misery on.
In 1943, the “Revenue Act of 1943” was passed and raised the tax rates across the board. Then FDR created the “pay as you go” system for payroll taxes. He wanted to pass a new tax law that would put a 100% tax on incomes over $25,000 a year and fortunately, that didn’t pass. Then there was the “War Bonds Act” and the media hype of that program. Think about it… he used tax payer’s money to fund media ads to remind you to pay your taxes (like those damn street signs along the highway telling you these signs were paid for with stimulus package money, so you know your taxes are hard at work). The same pay as you go tax system is being used to pay for social security which has been bankrupt and corrupt for so long.
There was one voice of sanity during this time. On March 22, 1943, an opposing tax bill called the Ruml Plan called for the 1942 tax year to be forgiven to relieve the burden on taxpayers. This tax bill caused a major upheaval in congress right down the line.
Rep. Rankin (D-MS) stated: “Personally, I am not for forgiving these millionaires.”
Why is that? What did these millionaires do to you that was so evil you can’t forgive them or cut them a tax break?
Senator La Follette Jr. (R-WI) stated: “In 18 years in congress he had never seen such a sharp division of opinion among honest men,” (over all the new tax laws).
It seems that Mr. La Follette Jr. was not aware of the divided nature of the first congress or the constitutional convention or he would of seen some real fireworks.
Rep. William Miller (R-CN) stated: “It is tragic, that we must admit that there are some people who so despise the few wealthy men and women left in the United States.”
Do I ever agree with that statement! This same hate for the wealthy from progressives in the congress, the House and the Senate, is a game still being played today.
FDR used the media to his advantage in order to sell his tax laws and even pass a new law called the Network Allocation Plan to force radio stations to play government PSAs at regular intervals during the day. He hired music composer Irving Berlin to write a pro-tax song and had singer Danny Kaye sing it at nightclubs on his tours. Disney got into the act with a short film called “The New Spirit,” giving Donald Duck the tax message of, “It is your privilege to pay your taxes, not just your duty to pay your government.” Top rated radio stars of the day played into this to remind everyone to pay their taxes as required. This was through the infamous, “Taxes to beat the Axis” campaign.
Now let’s look into how FDR used the IRS to defeat his enemies and how it was used against his supporters. There were newspapers at this time that were not shills of the government and they did write opposing views of FDR and his ideas. There was one in Chicago that really got under FDR’s skin; his name was McCormick and FDR tried throwing the IRS at him. That didn’t work, so he threw the FBI at him, which almost worked. FDR was always happy to use the IRS to make his opponents go away and even so far as to throw his friends and supporters under the IRS bus if they were no longer useful to him.
If you would like any of my files on this subject, please e-mail me at [email protected], free of charge and thank you for your kind e-mails and file requests.