KeyWiki.org

Brad Sigal

Brad Sigal is a rank-and-file union activist and writes forFightBack! Newspaper on labor issues and is a member of Freedom Road Socialist Organization/FightBack! inMinnesota.

Sigal was a CUNY student activist from 1996-2000. He was a member of Student Liberation Action Movement, editor of the CCNY Messenger newspaper and a member of the CCNY Graduate Student Council. He was also a member of the Love and Rage Anarchist Federation, which later dissolved in Freedom Road.

A group of us in Love @ Rage were transformed by our work in the CUNY movement. Out of our experiences we gained an appreciation for Mao’s writings on the mass line, and for some of the foundations of Marxism like dialectical and historical materialism, that helped us make sense of what we were experiencing and give us practical guidance in building the mass movement.

It is through my experiences in the student movement that I came to know and appreciate Freedom Road Socialist Organization. Unlike some left groups, FRSO has the humility to admit that they are not “The Party”. But unlike others, FRSO has not lost sight of the fact that there needs to be a real communist party in the U.S. based on Marxism-Leninism. That is what FRSO is building toward.
Spying.JPG

Front cover of Harlem’s Amsterdam News, June 4-10, 1998 reports on students Ydanis Rodriguez(now a New York City Councillor), David Sukerand Brad Sigal’s discovery of CCNY administration’s secret spying program against student activist meeting space in NAC 3/201.

On Nov. 21, 2008, U.S. District Court JudgeThomas P. Griesa ruled in favor of Brad Sigal, Ydanis Rodriguez and David Suker, three former student activists at the City College of New York (CCNY). The students praised the court decision in the Sigal v. Moses case, calling it an important victory for student activists and the student media.

In October 2008, several thousand college professors, students and academic staff signed a statement Support Bill Ayers in solidarity with former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bill Ayers.

In the run up to the U.S. presidential elections, Ayers had come under considerable media scrutiny, sparked by his relationship to presidential candidate Barack Obama.

We write to support our colleague Professor William Ayers, Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who is currently under determined and sustained political attack…
We, the undersigned, stand on the side of education as an enterprise devoted to human inquiry, enlightenment, and liberation. We oppose the demonization of Professor William Ayers.

Brad Sigal signed the statement.

Circa September 19, 2009, Brad Sigal signed a petition initiated by the Minnesota Coalition for a People’s Bailout entitled, Petition to Demand a People’s Bailout which includes the statement, “Tax the rich, make them pay for their crisis!”

(Brad Sigal|more…)