Hat Tip: BB
After the week all of us have had, I think we can relate…
A Young Huntress And Her Golden Eagle
The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast and the results are in for this week, carved eternally in the records of cyberspace.
This week has been a celebration of hope and freedom, with Passover starting last Monday night and continuing through the weekend until next Tuesday. Which of course also coincides with Holy Week, which culminates this weekend with Easter Sunday. This linkage is entirely appropriate, since Jesus had come to Jerusalem for the Passover ceremonies and the famous Last Supper was a Passover Seder… the ritual meal where Jews all over the world retell the story of the Exodus, celebrate their G-d-given freedom and eat the unleavened bread, matzoh, to commemorate their ancestor’s journey and deliverance from bondage and slavery.
The story of the Resurrection is a story of freedom too… freedom of the soul and a promise of eternal life to believing Christians who understand what the rolling away of the stones means for them.
Both holidays change their dates on our calender from year to year, Passover or Pessah in Hebrew, because it is based on the centuries old Hebrew calender and Easter because the early Church fathers determined that Easter is always celebrated on the Sunday immediately following the Paschal Full Moon date of the year, which always occurs after Passover.
However, it’s rare that the two holidays occur this close together and in this momentous year, when Judeo-Christian values seem to be under siege, I likewise see in that a sign of hope for the future.
I and my friends on the Watcher’s Council wish you and yours Chag Pessach Sameach and a blessed Easter.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear” – George Orwell
Allah’s Apostle said, “Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him.” – Hadith Bukhari (84:57)
“People ask me if I have some kind of death wish, to keep saying the things I do. The answer is no: I would like to keep living. However, some things must be said, and there are times when silence becomes an accomplice to injustice.” – Ayaan Hirsi Ali
This Week’s winner, Joshuapundit’s – An Honor Killing On Campus, is my reaction to the decision of Brandeis University to withdraw an honorary degree and a chance to address commencement ceremonies from writer, thinker and women’s rights activist, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, under pressure from Muslim Brotherhood fronts and a few scared and clueless lefties. Here’s a slice:
Regular members of Joshua’s Army may recall the name Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
She was raised as a Muslima in Somalia and Saudi Arabia, survived female genital mutilation, beatings, abuse and various aspects of Somalia’s internecine clan warfare and became a devout member of the Muslim Brotherhood, after which her questions about Islam and the life she was leading led her to escape being ‘given’ in marriage to a distant male relative she had never met.and flee to Holland. There, she was granted Dutch citizenship and eventually became a member of the Dutch parliament where she became a voice alerting the people of her adopted country to the menace of radical Islam, and against the abuse of Muslim women and children in the Netherland’s Islamic ghettos.
She later collaborated with the late filmmaker Theo Van Gogh on a film called ‘Submission’, which chronicled the plight of many Muslim women victimized as she was by the traditional tribal culture.The film caused a firestorm of protest among Muslims. Van Gogh was murdered in broad daylight by a fanatic Muslim while cycling to work one morning in 2004 and then had his corpse ritually mutilated. A note was pinned to Van Gogh’s corpse promising Ayaan Hirsi Ali that she was the next target, with explicit Qu’rannic details of her `crimes against Islam’ as an ‘apostate’, a death sentence in Islam. Other death threats followed, and Ayaan has lived under 24 hour security protection ever since.
She went through the experience of being forced to move out of her apartment because her Dutch neighbors were annoyed that the security protection ‘inconvenienced them’ and because they were afraid that the violence directed towards Ayaan Hirshi Ali might involve them. And the Dutch government, which was obligated to pay for her security as a member of Parliament also disliked the cost, the inconvenience and the political stigma of protecting an ‘enemy of Islam’ in a country that’s over 25% Muslim, so they found a trumped up reason to take away her citizenship and force her to step down from her seat in parliament. Whereupon, she came here to America and became a noted author and speaker. You can read her story in her books ‘Infidel’, ‘Nomad’,and ‘The Caged Virgin.’
So Brandeis decided to honor Ayaan Hirshi Ali. She was to be their commencement speaker and receive an honorary degree.
But when the local chapters of Muslim Brotherhood fronts like CAIR and the Muslim Student’s Association heard about this, they went absolutely ballistic and were able to rope in enough guilty and frightened non-Muslim Lefties to go along with the mob to get Ayaan’s honorary degree ‘rescinded’ and her invitation to speak revoked.
“This is a real slap in the face to Muslim students,” said senior Sarah Fahmy, a member of the Muslim Student Association who created the petition said before the university withdrew the honor.
“But it’s not just the Muslim community that is upset but students and faculty of all religious beliefs,” she said. “A university that prides itself on social justice and equality should not hold up someone who is an outright Islamophobic.”
Thomas Doherty, chairman of American studies, refused to sign the faculty letter. He said it would have been great for the university to honor “such a courageous fighter for human freedom and women’s rights, who has put her life at risk for those values.”
Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, the nation’s largest Muslim advocacy group, said, “It is unconscionable that such a prestigious university would honor someone with such openly hateful views.”
The organization sent a letter to university President Frederick Lawrence on Tuesday requesting that it drop plans to honor Ali.
“This makes Muslim students feel very uneasy,” Joseph Lumbard, an American convert to Islam and the chairman of Islamic and Middle Eastern studies, said in an interview. “They feel unwelcome here.”
The university said that the decision had been made after a discussion between Ali and university President Frederick Lawrence.According to Ayaan Hirsi Ali, that ‘discussion’ consisted of a phone call made simply to inform her after the decision had already be made.
Much more at the link.
In our non-Council category, the winner was Mark Steyn with a superb piece on the Nevada standoff between the Bundy family and the Bureau of Land Management, The First Amendment is Not an Area, submitted by The Noisy Room. Mark Steyn is absolutely on fire in this one… A must-read.
Here are this week’s full results. Only The Colossus of Rhodey was unable to vote this week, but was not affected by the 2/3 vote penalty:
- *First place with 3 1/3 votes! – Joshuapundit – An Honor Killing On Campus
- Second place with 2 2/3 votes – The Independent Sentinel – Barack Obama’s Ideological Assault on Traditional America
- Third place with 2 votes – The Right Planet – The Soviet Anschluss
- Fourth place with 1 2/3 vote – Bookworm Room – A revolutionary idea to win the White House and save the world
- Fifth place with 1 vote – The Razor – There Should Be A Word
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Nice Deb – Sick: Eric Holder Plays Race Card at Sharpton Event (Video)
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Simply Jews – Bay Area anarchists leave Marx standing in the dust Part I: redefining “parasite”
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – VA Right! – Shaun Kenney and Bearing Drift Drop Anchor in Eric Cantor’s Treasure Chest
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – Ask Marion – We the People… The Wind Has Shifted
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Wrong Enemy
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Noisy Room – Last Man Standing – Federal Fascism Cowboys Up In Nevada
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – Rhymes With Right – Brandeis University Caves To Muslims
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Colossus of Rhodey – The real concern regarding the right to vote
- *First place with 2 2/3 votes! – Mark Steyn – The First Amendment is Not an Area submitted by The Noisy Room
- Second place with 2 1/3 votes – Ayaan Hirsi Ali/WSJ – Here’s What I Would Have Said at Brandeis submitted by The Razor
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes – The Elder of Ziyon – A fun Twitter conversation with a terror apologist/anti-Israel leftist (updated) submitted by Simply Jews
- Fourth place with 1 1/3 votes – Adam Kredo/Washington Free Beacon – Inside the White House’s Secret Campaign to Scapegoat Israel submitted by The Watcher
- Fifth place *t* with 1 vote – Mark Steyn – The Wretched Jelly-Spined Nothing Eunuchs submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Fifth place *t* with 1 vote – Francis Wilkinson/Bloomberg – Why Are Liberal Cities Bad for Blacks? submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fifth place *t* with 1 vote – The Federalist – Is President Obama Appalled By Claire Shipman, Too? submitted by The Right Planet
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Center For A New American Security – If Deterrence Fails: Rethinking Conflict on the Korean Peninsula submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Victor Davis Hanson – Our psychodramatic campuses submitted by Bookworm Room
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The First Street Journal – Media Bias: The professional media are attempting to normalize transexualism submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – Liberal Backwards Think – Captain America and the New World Order submitted by Ask Marion
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – Discriminations – Identity, Rights, Politics: Group Or Individual? submitted by Rhymes with Right
See you next week! Don’t forget to tune in on Monday AM for this week’s Watcher’s Forum, as the Council and their invited guests take apart one of the provocative issues of the day and weigh in… don’t you dare miss it. And don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us Twitter… ’cause we’re cool like that!
By: Sher Zieve
It’s getting harder and harder to ignore the unprecedented corruption, perversions and all around criminal mob behavior inherent within virtually each and every member of the ObamaGov. However, the wholly-owned-by-Obama media will have no difficulty in doping so. Having no ethics, it’s easy.
Today, Judicial Watch released information contained within emails from Lois Lerner to the DOJ and its members responses back to her. To say they are startling and shocking is a huge understatement. They are chilling and–in some circles (probably many Republicans in Congress)–potentially terrifying.
It confirms–with no doubt for anyone who can read and has the IQ to determine that which he or she is reading. First, there’s this gem:
May 8, 2013, Lerner to Nikole C. Flax, former-Acting IRS Commissioner Steven T. Miller’s chief of staff:
I got a call today from Richard Pilger Director Elections Crimes Branch at DOJ … He wanted to know who at IRS the DOJ folk s [sic] could talk to about Sen. Whitehouse idea at the hearing that DOJ could piece together false statement cases about applicants who “lied” on their 1024s –saying they weren’t planning on doing political activity, and then turning around and making large visible political expenditures. DOJ is feeling like it needs to respond, but want to talk to the right folks at IRS to see whether there are impediments from our side and what, if any damage this might do to IRS programs.
I told him that sounded like we might need several folks from IRS…’ In other words, she’s asking “How can we fake evidence to arrest, prosecute and send conservatives to prison?
The response is equally telling, with Flax is equally chilling:
May 9, 2013, Flax to Lerner:
I think we should do it – also need to include CI [Criminal Investigation Division], which we can help coordinate. Also, we need to reach out to FEC. Does it make sense to consider including them in this or keep it separate?
Folks, we ARE now living in a Marxist totalitarian State. This only serves to underline that truth!
“The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders.”
- 2nd Thessalonians 2:9 (NKJ)
——- GB ——-
JW Obtains IRS Documents Showing Lerner in Contact With DOJ about Potential Prosecution of Tax-Exempt Groups: at judicialwatch.org
By: Arlen Williams
Cavuto’s just brought on Ron Paul over at Fox News.
Apparently, the cartel collective’s federal government’s globalist bankster-corrupt Treasury Department’s Marxofascist IRS has now gone after Ron Paul’s organization(s), demanding they disclose their donors.
Did they ever pick another wrong rec room.
Are they that cocky or that desperate?
(Please do pardon the language in the video.)
Welcome to the Watcher’s Council, a blogging group consisting of some of the most incisive blogs in the ‘sphere and the longest running group of its kind in existence. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. Then we vote on the best two posts, with the results appearing on Friday morning.
The Council In Action!
- Elise at Liberty’s Spirit has a new piece up at the Times of Israel, The Season of Freedom and Special Needs Parenting.
- Debra Heine of Nice Deb has a new piece up at Breitbart, Sebelius’ Shameful Legacy.
You can, too! Want to see your work appear on the Watcher’s Council homepage in our weekly contest listing? Didn’t get nominated by a Council member? No worries.
To bring something to my attention, simply head over to Joshuapundit and post the title and a link to the piece you want considered along with an e-mail address (which won’t be published) in the comments section no later than Monday 6 PM PST in order to be considered for our honorable mention category. Then return the favor by creating a post on your site linking to the Watcher’s Council contest for the week when it comes out Wednesday morning.
It’s a great way of exposing your best work to Watcher’s Council readers and Council members, while grabbing the increased traffic and notoriety. And how good is that, eh?
So, let’s see what we have this week…
- Liberty’s Spirit – The Black Soul that Inhabits John Kerry (Updated)
- The Independent Sentinel – Barack Obama’s Ideological Assault on Traditional America
- Simply Jews – Bay Area anarchists leave Marx standing in the dust Part I: redefining “parasite”
- Joshuapundit – An Honor Killing On Campus
- The Noisy Room – Last Man Standing – Federal Fascism Cowboys Up In Nevada
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Wrong Enemy
- Ask Marion – We the People… The Wind Has Shifted
- Bookworm Room – A revolutionary idea to win the White House and save the world
- The Colossus of Rhodey – The real concern regarding the right to vote
- Rhymes With Right – Brandeis University Caves To Muslims
- Nice Deb – Sick: Eric Holder Plays Race Card at Sharpton Event (Video)
- The Glittering Eye – Where To Begin?
- VA Right! – Shaun Kenney and Bearing Drift Drop Anchor in Eric Cantor’s Treasure Chest
- The Razor – There Should Be A Word
- The Right Planet – The Soviet Anschluss
- Midknight Review – Is Michigan Basketball, Obama’s team because (in part) of the anger of its 1992 and 1993 teams? (Updated)
- The Pirate’s Cove – Happy Tax Day! 72% Of Individual Filer Taxes Paid By Those Earning $100k Plus
- David Gerstman/Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion – Iranian U.N. Rep denied visa — will it stick?
- Daniel Nisman/WSJ – Chemical Assad submitted by Liberty’s Spirit
- Mark Steyn – The Wretched Jelly-Spined Nothing Eunichs submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- The Elder of Ziyon – A fun Twitter conversation with a terror apologist/anti-Israel leftist (updated) submitted by Simply Jews
- Mark Steyn – The First Amendment is Not an Area submitted by The Noisy Room
- Sipsey Street Irregulars – Courage is contagious, defiance is contagious, victory is contagious. The huge win in the desert at the Bundy Ranch. submitted by Joshuapundit
- Center For A New American Security – If Deterrence Fails: Rethinking Conflict on the Korean Peninsula submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Liberal Backwards Think – Captain America and the New World Order submitted by Ask Marion
- Victor Davis Hanson – Our psychodramatic campuses submitted by Bookworm Room
- The First Street Journal – Media Bias: The professional media are attempting to normalize transexualism submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Discriminations – Identity, Rights, Politics: Group Or Individual? submitted by Rhymes with Right
- PowerLine – Reid and Schumer took Koch money submitted by Nice Deb
- Francis Wilkinson/Bloomberg – Why Are Liberal Cities Bad for Blacks? submitted by The Glittering Eye
- PJ Media – BANANA REPUBLICANS: New Head Of Virginia GOP on Eric Cantor’s Payroll submitted by VA Right!
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali/WSJ – Here’s What I Would Have Said at Brandeis submitted by The Razor
- The Federalist – Is President Obama Appalled By Claire Shipman, Too? submitted by The Right Planet
- Kevin D. Williamson/NRO – The Influence Merchants of Venice submitted by The Watcher
- Adam Kredo/Washington Free Beacon – Inside the White House’s Secret Campaign to Scapegoat Israel submitted by The Watcher
Mark Levin lays out the most thoughtful and in-depth analysis I’ve heard yet on the dispute between Cliven Bundy and the federal government. In short, Levin calls it an abuse of power and believes the BLM should stop referring to the land as a conservation area and allow Bundy’s cattle to continue grazing on the land just as it has for the last 100 years or so.